Sunday, September 9, 2012

--Wake me up when September ends--



Day 58- "SepTimbre: At the point of rolling " (Monthstone reading: 10 months) 

Now that's a big gap...I was supposed to be back here in 14days but finally back after 31 days. Aplologies for the late updates, but the past few days have just been building up on me.

The month is SepTimbre as it got me singing! While I could catch pace with things, I was 2 rounds deep in the kwc Karaoke competition; Now headed for the North zone finals on 13th sep:) You might want to check www.kwcindia.com to know more about it
Newys, So here I am; at that point in a roller-coaster ride where the cart has moved up slowly and steadily to the top of the structure....and you are able to stare blankly right ahead at the dead drop in front of you!. The essence of the roller-coaster is in the air and the cart is rolling now! With a few days away from my sister's wedding, all the preps are in full-throttle. The ride would touch ground as this month ends. However, more rides await after this one gets done.

Newys, let me roll-out my progress to you first:

Road-Map

GRE (done) - Score : 325/340; Awa- 5.0/6
TOEFL (done) - score: 114/120 ; (R-28, L-28, S-28, W-30)


  1. University Selections (some progress here...but still to finalize...aiming to be sorted by September end)
  2. SOP ( :(:( ....I dunno why it takes so much effort to pen this down!!!....October mid is the target)
  3. LOR's (List finalized...Will approach the recommenders after SOP is done )
  4. Transcripts ( this would be ticked by the time my next update happens)
  5. Financial Documents
  6. Visa Interview
Time-line


  • 9th Aug- Bday pre celebrations of Praveer, spent doing Karaoke at V-spot cafe, Gurgaon. Incidentally I also enrolled myself in the Kwc 2012; a karaoke competition, the trials for which were ongoing then.
  • 10th - 12th Aug- Drove down to Chandigarh with family. Good family time and some items ticked of the checklist of Dee's marriage prep.
    12th Aug- 18th Aug -Toefl Prep (gave around 2-3 papers and went thru the Official guide and Princeton Review. Imo pretty easy to score above 100 with a one week prep)
  • 19th Aug - TOEFL day
  • 20th Aug onwards-  prep and chores for Dee's marriage prep, facebook, Coursera course on 'Cryptography' by Dan Boneh, Kwc venue finals@Gurgaon.

Before I write a bit about the month, let me share some good links that I visited over the past few days while searching for new avenues to knowledge:

7 free education websites you don't wanna miss!

Prof Irfan Essa's Blog on Computational Photography @ GaTech

An article on Computational photogrpahy....(HDR's, plenoptic camera's, frankencamera and more.)

Khan Academy: An awesome online-learning site!

Alright, that said let me highlight one more site that I discovered while I was searching on the web. The site caught my attention cuz of the name. Ladies and gents, I am talking about stupidsid.com . This is an initiative by 6 pass-outs from Dj Sanghvi college in Mumbai. The site caters to the confused 'sid' who wants to find answers to so manyy things; from doubts in engg to counselling in further studies. This site is still young, but definitely a very promising initiative. For me the catch was finding something similar to edulix, only much more clutter-free and having lots of people from the mumbai university. It still lacks forums on MS in non-US colleges (something that you would find on Edulix) but otherwise a fabulous website.

I would also like to share my experience with the cryptography-1 course at coursera.org. The first course I tried to do was on 'Global Music'. It turned out to be a royal disaster as I joined while the class was already 2 weeks ahead of me. Time was already a demanding factor here, so eventually decided to unenroll after unsuccessfully trying to follow it. However, the course I am doing presently, the one on 'Cryptography' had a better start. Though I am still lacking in the class, I have completed the week 1 lectures and should be done with week 2 lectures in 1-2 days. (I still need to catch up one more week of lectures to be in sync though :( ) The quality of lectures is brilliant and the problem assignments look challenging and interesting. The course, however, also demands reference reading for better understanding of some concepts.
Really hoping to finish this in time and complete it successfully.

I am marking this day as my checkpoint. I have covered a good amount of distance on the highway 2 higher education now. Even though a lot more needs to be covered, this is a good time for me to place my cross and mark one phase of my journey as complete.

I will be back again once September ends to fill you in on my experiences....and in case I get delayed, wake me up:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews